Michael H. Weisman, MD
Steven Spielberg Building
8723 Alden Drive; Suite 290
Los Angeles, CA 90048
Michael H. Weisman, MD
Arthritis (Osteoarthritis) General
Connective Tissue Diseases
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
The research of Michael H. Weisman, MD, focuses on genetic susceptibility and environmental risk for pathogenesis of rheumatic diseases; genomewide scanning and environmental assessments to determine susceptibility and severity for hand osteoarthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis; and pre-clinical biomarkers and patient-reported outcome measures as independent and dependent variables for disease outcome.
- Medical School: University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, 1968
- Internship: University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, 1969
- Residency: University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, 1971
- Fellowship: University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, 1973
Awards & Activities
- Editor: Rheumatology, 2010
- Editor: Treatment of the Rheumatic Diseases, 2009
- Editor: Ankylosing Spondylitis and the Spondyloarthropathies, 2006
- Master, American College of Rheumatology, 2005
- President, Research and Education Foundation, American College of Rheumatology, 2005
- Demoruelle MK, Weisman MH, Simonian PL, Lynch DA, Sachs PB, Pedraza IF, Harrington AR, Kolfenbach JR, Striebich CC, Pham QN, et al. Brief report: airways abnormalities and rheumatoid arthritis-related autoantibodies in subjects without arthritis: early injury or initiating site of autoimmunity? Arthritis Rheum. 2011;64(6):1756-1761.
- Ishimori ML, Martin R, Berman DS, Goykhman P, Shaw LJ, Shufelt C, Slomka PJ, Thomson LE, Schapira J, Yang Y, Wallace DJ, Weisman MH, et al. Myocardial ischemia in the absence of obstructive coronary artery disease in systemic lupus erythematosus. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2011;4(1):27-33.
- Reveille JD, Hirsch R, Dillon CF, Carroll MD, Weisman MH. The prevalence of HLA-B27 in the U.S.: data from the U.S. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2009. Arthritis Rheum. 2012;64(5):1407-1411.
- Reveille JD, Witter JP, Weisman MH. Prevalence of axial spondylarthritis in the United States: estimates from a cross-sectional survey. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2012;64(6):905-910.
- Weisman MH, Witter JP, Reveille JD. The prevalence of inflammatory back pain: population-based estimates from the U.S. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2009-10. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013;72(3);369-373.