Hui Han, PhD
Hui Han, PhD
The research of Hui Han, PhD, has a longstanding focus on novel MRI hardware and methodologies for in vivo and material applications (e.g., fluids in porous media). His research outcome has led to several U.S. patents, filed by universities, on MRI instrumentation currently under consideration for commercialization in the medical device and petroleum industries. In particular, Dr. Han and his colleagues have pioneered a novel MRI scanner platform technology known as iPRES (integrated Parallel Reception, Excitation and Shimming). This is a new concept for combining B0 shimming and RF into a single coil array. The technology could revolutionize the design of RF coils or phased arrays, major components of an MRI scanner. Since 2013, this new concept has been a hot topic in the world's largest MR community, the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. It has been highlighted in several plenary lectures, including those hosted by major vendors such as Siemens and GE Healthcare. It can dramatically improve image resolution and accuracy for functional and structural imaging (e.g., at the prefrontal cortex and temporal lobes in human and animal brains). The current study aims to fully develop the potential of this technology for improving the diagnosis and prevention of diseases by solving challenges in imaging.
Awards & Activities
- Member, International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM) Committee on Trainee Stipends, 2015
- Junior Fellow, ISMRM, 2013
- Han H, Song AW, Truong TK. Integrated parallel reception, excitation, and shimming (iPRES). Magn Reson Med. 2013;70(1):241-247.
- Han H, Ouellette M, MacMillan B, Goora F, MacGregor R, Green D, Balcom BJ. High pressure magnetic resonance imaging with metallic vessels. J Magn Reson. 2011;213(1):90–97.
- Han H, Balcom BJ. Magnetic resonance imaging inside cylindrical metal containers with an eddy current self-compensated method. Meas Sci Technol. 2011;22(11):115501.
- Han H, Green D, Ouellette M, MacGregor R, Balcom BJ. Non-Cartesian sampled centric scan SPRITE imaging with magnetic field gradient and B0(t) field measurements for MRI in the vicinity of metal structures. J Magn Reson. 2010;206(1):97-104.
- Han H, MacGregor R, Balcom BJ. Pure phase encode magnetic field gradient monitor. J Magn Reson. 2009;201(2):212-217.
- Han H, Truong TK, Song A. Magnetic Resonance Imaging Systems for Integrated Parallel Reception, Excitation and Shimming (iPRES) and Related Methods and Devices. Patents filed by Duke University Medical Center: United States provisional patent application no. 61/665,517 on June 28, 2012. U.S. patent application publication no. US 2014/0002084 on Jan. 2, 2014. International WIPO patent application publication no. WO 2014/003918 on Jan. 3, 2014. European app. no. EP2867687A1. Chinese app. no. CN104471421 A.