Suzanne L. Cassel, MD
Suzanne L. Cassel, MD
Allergy / Allergies
One of the most important roles of the immune system is to recognize the presence of an infection or injury and to trigger an immunologic response aimed at restoring normal function of the organism. Specialized white blood cells from the innate immune system carry receptors that are specifically activated by invading organisms or markers of trauma. Suzanne Cassel, MD, and Fayyaz Sutterwala MD, PhD, run a joint lab that studies these receptors, how they are activated and how that translates into an effective and appropriate immune response to both infectious and sterile insults.
- Undergraduate: Reed College, 1992
- Medical School: Temple University, 2000
- Internship: Yale-New Haven Hospital, 2001
- Residency: Yale-New Haven Hospital, 2003
- Fellowship: Yale University School of Medicine, 2007
Click here for a list of peer-reviewed publications.
- Ciraci C, Janczy, Jain N, Haasken S, Pecli E Silva C, Benjamim CF, Sadler JJ, Olivier AK, Iwakura Y, Shayakhmetov DM, Sutterwala FS, Cassel SL. 2016. Immune Complexes Indirectly Suppress the Generation of Th17 Responses In Vivo. PLoS One. 11:e0151252.
- Sutterwala FS, Haasken S, Cassel SL. 2014. Mechanism of NLRP3 inflammasome activation. Ann NY Acad Sci. 1319:82-95. PMC4074217
- Cassel SL*, Janczy JR, Bing X, Wilson SP, Olivier AK, Otero JE, Iwakura Y, Shayakhmetov DM, Bassuk AG, Abu-Amer Y, Brogden KA, Burns TL, Sutterwala FS*, Ferguson PJ*. 2014. Inflammasome-independent IL-1β mediates autoinflammatory disease in Pstpip2-deficient mice. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 111:1072-1077. PMC3903222 * equal contribution
- Iyer, SS, He Q, Janczy JR, Elliott EI, Zhong Z, Olivier AK, Sadler JJ, Knepper-Adrian V, Han R, Qiao L, Eisenbarth SC, Nauseef WM, Cassel SL*, Sutterwala FS*. 2013. Mitochondrial cardiolipin regulates Nlrp3 inflammasome activation. Immunity. 39:311-323. PMC3779285 * equal contribution
- Curtiss ML, Gorman JV, Businga TR, Traver G, Singh M, Meyerholz DK, Kline JN, Murphy AJ, Vanenzuela DM, Colgan JD, Rothman PB, Cassel SL. 2012. Tim-1 regulates Th2 responses in an airway hypersensitivity model. Eur J Immunol. 42:651-656. PMC3528103
- Cassel SL, Eisenbarth SC, Iyer SS, Sadler JJ, Colegio OR, Tephly LA, Carter AB, Rothman PB, Flavell RA, Sutterwala FS.2008. The Nalp3 inflammasome is essential for the development of silicosis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 105:9035-9040. PMC2449360